cleaning up IEF tubes?

John A. Newitt newitt at
Mon Jul 10 13:04:05 EST 1995

In article <gurer-070795112242 at>,
gurer at (Chaan Gurer) wrote:

> Does anyone know a reliable protocol for cleaning up IEF tubes after the
> gels
> are pushed out. We ususally rinse them with water and wash them with
> chromic
> acid. However, lately we have had some uneven polymerization incidents in
> our
> tubes which might be an indication of dirty tubes. Is there another way to
> clean the tubes? Thanks.
We used to soak them in 50% Nitric acid in water.  I don't know if this
method is any better than the one you are currently using, but it might be
worth a try.

        John A. Newitt, Ph.D.           |     <newitt at>
        National Institutes of Health   |     <newitt at>
        Bethesda, Maryland  USA         |     <73043.1773 at>