cleaning up IEF tubes?

Mon Jul 10 12:08:07 EST 1995

On Fri, 7 Jul 1995, Chaan Gurer wrote:

> Does anyone know a reliable protocol for cleaning up IEF tubes after the
> gels
> are pushed out. We ususally rinse them with water and wash them with
> chromic
> acid. However, lately we have had some uneven polymerization incidents in
> our
> tubes which might be an indication of dirty tubes. Is there another way to
> clean the tubes? Thanks.
> Chaan Gurer
> University of Illinois
> Howard Hughes Program

I clean them (following a thorough rinse in DI water) by soaking them O/N
in conc. HNO3, in the hood using a 50 or 100mL cylinder. After this I
rinse them in DI water with several changes, soak them for an hour in 95%
EtOH, wash off the EtOH with several changes of ddH2O and dry in an oven.

Chromic acid should be OK, but has to be clean and relatively fresh. In
general Cr-acid baths tend to accumulate a lot of debris from repeated use
and those may stick to the inner surface of the narrow tubes.
			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.
			  Las Cruces, NM 88003