hekp with sigmacoat and sequencing gels

Jeffrey Mahr szjmahr at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 11 15:51:34 EST 1995

I am relatively new to sequencing.  at first when pouring my gels i would
clean them with detergent and a sponge, lay them flat on a tt rack and
with no tape, pour the gel - this worked great until once when taking the
apparatus apart the gel stuck to both plates and made a mess of it.  to
try to prevent this i tried using sigmacoat on one plate and disaster
struck (huge pockets where the acrylamide just WOULD NOT go - the
location of which where not the same when i tried this 3 times in a
row).  for my fourth attempt icleaned the plates using every dish washing
solvent in the lab and did not use sigma coat - the same thing to a
somewhat lesser degree happened again (i even tried taping halfway
through and then bringing the plates vertical but the huge bubbles
wouldn't budge despite my pouding on the plates)  i have heard mixed
reveiws on sigma coat
	1.  will i ever be able to get the stuff off my plates
	2.  does anyone know of a way to use the stuff so that it works reliably
	3  does any one have  alternative ideas for helping me out????

sincerly - jamahr at ucdavis.edu