Sequencing gel solution premixes

Colin Rasmussen colin_rasmussen at darwin.biochem.ualberta.ca
Wed Jul 12 10:36:25 EST 1995

rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk (R. P. Grant +44 1 865 221018) wrote:
>> I was wondering if a standard urea, acrylamide, TBE, water and TEMED solution
>> was stable during storage. I ask with regards to the companies  (e.g. National
>> Diagnostics) selling sequencing gel solutions which are ready to set after
>> the addtion of APS.
>
>Dunno about the TMED, but we used to make up a 10/9 stock of Urea/Ac in h2o,
>deionize and filter.  Kept for months at 4C (in the dark).
>Then we added 10XTBE (filtered, if necessary) and the AMPS + TEMED.
>I'd worry about the TBE ppting if stored cold.

I make up a stock gel mix conatining everything but the TEMED and ammonium persulfate. It is stored
in the fridge (which is pretty dark most of the time) and works fine. I have also stored the same mix
on my benchtop (which is not very dark, and a lot warmer) for a few weeks.  I wouldn't recommend it
because it seems that bands get a little fuzzy with time (maybe the urea or acrylamide going off).

Colin