DNA recovery from gels

Wed Jul 12 10:03:36 EST 1995

On Tue, 11 Jul 1995 bicfo at flinders.edu.au wrote:

> Gidday, fellow netters!
> I'm having truckloads of trouble trying to consistently recover DNA
> (0.7-1.8kb) from low-melting point agarose gels. I've tried agarase digestion,
> phenol extraction, Promega  WIZARD PCR columns  and 'squeeze-freeze'
> techniques - all with limited success (none at all with the agarase!). Does
> anybody have a foolproof method, or can anyone direct me to somewhere on the
> net where different techniques might be discussed?
> Thanks, Colleen.

It was not clear from your posting why and how you are having problem
getting DNA from LMP agarose. Have you tried "glass-milk" or "glass-fine"
technique? Also give the DEAE-cellulose membrane interception method a try.
The recovery should be close to 100% with this for the size you mentioned.

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.
			  Las Cruces, NM 88003