RNA gels - staining and denaturing

Amy Marion amarion at moose.uvm.edu
Thu Jul 13 18:33:53 EST 1995

Dear netters;

	I need some advice on RNA gels.  I have made 3 attempts to run
total RNA through glyoxal/DMSO gels and one attempt with a formamide gel.
In all cases I have been unable to see the RNA after ethidium bromide
staining.  Even the RNA markers do not show up.

Should RNA be stained with ethidium bromide at all?  (These gels will be
used for Northerns.)
What is the proper procedure for staining RNA gels (either glyoxal or
formamide) with ethidium bromide?

	I have run the RNA through 0.1% SDS, 1.2% agarose gels.  After
staining with EtBr all the RNA (including the RNA markers) are visible.
Will the 0.1% SDS denature the RNA?  If yes, can the RNA from this gel be
transfered to nylon for a Northern?

	Thanks for your help.

Amy Marion
marion at smtplink.ipfw.indiana.edu