hekp with sigmacoat and sequencing gels

mcmanusj at omrf mcmanusj at omrf
Thu Jul 13 06:30:51 EST 1995

In article <donw-1207951409090001 at yaswen.lbl.gov>, donw at ux5.lbl.gov (Don Wigington) writes:
> In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950711134256.15100A-100000 at chip>, Jeffrey Mahr
> <szjmahr at peseta.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>
>   i have heard mixed
>> reveiws on sigma coat
>>
>>         2.  does anyone know of a way to use the stuff so that it works
> reliably
>>

> I always clean the plates with soap and water then dry them. Then I clean
> with windex and scrape with a razor blade. Then I clean with EtOH and
> scrape with a razor blade and dry with kimWipe. Then I put a dab of
> sigmacoat on a wadded up kimwipe and gently rub on one plate. Then I clamp
> the plates and pour. I've never had a problem.
> Don W

  I quit using Sigma coat a couple of years ago due to its unreliability.
  I now use Gel Slick from AT Biochem and it works much, much better.
  Just clean the plates once with 2N NaOH and then with soap and water.
  Apply Gel Slick, wipe off and you are done.  Only need to reapply the
  Gel Slick about once overy 4-5 times you use the plate. It works perfectly
  every time.  No I do not work for AT Biochem or know anyone who does.

                                     john