DNA recovery from gels

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Fri Jul 14 16:16:43 EST 1995

In article <3tvkc2$nom at dingo.cc.uq.oz.au>, Your Name Here
<Your_Name at ctpm.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> bicfo at flinders.edu.au wrote:
> >Gidday, fellow netters!
> >I'm having truckloads of trouble trying to consistently recover DNA
> >(0.7-1.8kb) from low-melting point agarose gels. I've tried agarase
digestion,
> >phenol extraction, Promega  WIZARD PCR columns  and 'squeeze-freeze'
> >techniques - all with limited success (none at all with the agarase!). Does
> >anybody have a foolproof method, or can anyone direct me to somewhere on the
> >net where different techniques might be discussed?
> >Thanks, Colleen.
> Qiagen has a rapid spin column tht is specifically designed for this
purpose.  I
> haven't tried this product but commonly use other columns they produce
and I've
> found them to be second to none.

i have tried the Qiaquick column and have found them exceptional in terms
of speed, quality and recovery.  (no connection to Qiagen other than as a
customer)

eric
--
"i don't know what caffeine does for you, but i'm pretty sure that without it your head caves in."

eric c. anderson                                 anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)362-7058 (FAX)
660 s. euclid box 8103
st. louis, mo 63110