Cost estimates of PCR-based markers vs. RFLP

Vergel Concibido vergelv at puccini.CRL.umn.edu
Fri Jul 14 03:37:49 EST 1995

I am comparing the cost per data point/ per polymorphism using RFLPs vs
using PCR-based markers in a marker-assisted selection strategy in plant
breeding.  I have done an estimate for RFLPs based on my experience in our
lab.  It amounted to about $2.00 per data point and the cost goes down
depending on the number of probings my Southern blots can last.   Does
anybody have done estimates for these type of markers?  The only reference
I am aware of is: Beckmann and Soller, 1983 TAG.  I appreciate your input
on this.