B/W Photos of Westerns ?

Daniel Kim dkim at nmsu.edu
Fri Jul 14 10:44:53 EST 1995

In article <3u3ib4$5mn at news.orst.edu> leonardj at ava.bcc.orst.edu (Jeff Leonard) writes:
>Hi,    Are there any photography experts out there that can give me some advice
>on making black and white photos of Westerns stained with NBT/BCIP. Purple
>bands on a purple background are obvious to my eye but fade into shdes of
>gray on the photos. High contrast film, filters, paper? E-mail replies welcome.
>
>Jeff Leonard
>leonardj at bcc.orst.edu

I also have the same problem when I try to scan Westerns detected in this
way.

I have been considering switching to a chemiluminescent system, but I'd
like to avoid the added step of developing film if I have to.

Once, I read (In an old BRL FOCUS) that a red cellophane filter over the
blot will improve the "xerographic" reproducibility of these light blue
bands.  This was suggested for use in library screening using
nonradioactive probes (Isn't there another thread to this effect
today?).  I don't know where to get such stuff, however (Photographic
shop?).  In any case, my bands are often rather faint.

Daniel Kim