Expression cloning in COS

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 17 13:32:21 EST 1995

I'm looking for comments from people who have done expression cloning in
COS.  We've done a round of selection, and we're not entirely happy with
what we're getting out; but we don't know what to expect.

We transfected out library in and panned cells 3 days later.  We
understand that few cells should stick on the first round; however, we
got quite a few adherent.  Questions:  Should we reduce antibody
concentration to reduce the background?  How many cells should we expect
to be seeing?  What kind of false-positive rate is acceptable - or is any
acceptable?

We went ahead with Hirt extracts on these cells anyway, mostly for the
practice.  I didn't get all that many transformed bugs out of it - I
estimate that the whole extraction would give about 500,000 - 1,000,000
bacteria (i.e. if I were to transform with every drop).  Is this
expected?  What kind of numbers should I be expecting here?  (For
comparison, a pUC control transformation gave about 5 x 10^8
transformants per ug.)

I'd appreciate hearing from someone who knows what to expect.  Thanks.

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627