Does RNA - PCR ??

rmoldwin at rmoldwin at
Tue Jul 18 17:32:48 EST 1995

In article <aquilla.1156467038E at>, aquilla at
(Tracy Aquilla) writes:

>In Article <3ue8ub$cam at>, walter
><wlech at> wrote:
>>My understanding is that the RNA would be degraded rather rapidly under
>>the usual PCR conditions via magnesium-catalyzed hydrolysis.
>Actually, RNA amplifies quite nicely with Taq polymerase. I have cloned
>several cDNAs from total RNA this way. It works.
>    tracy

I also have seen several reports of RT activity in Taq.  Perhaps, it varies
according to the manufacturer, and the specific origin of the Taq, e.g.
recombinant/modified vs. wild type.  In my lab, we very rarely see this RT
activity when using standard Perkin Elmer recombinant AmpliTaq, which PE
reports in their catalog to have "minimal, low" RT activity.  AmpliTaq is
modified from the wild-type Taq, but I can't determine what the difference is
from their literature.

I wouldn't not be surprised if changing PCR conditions could increase the RT

So I guess you could try a different source of Taq, in addition to the previous

Hope this helps,