Help: Blotting DNA from acrylamide gel

Jeffrey Smerage smerage at cmg.health.ufl.edu
Tue Jul 18 12:05:43 EST 1995

I have transfered DNA from acrylamide gels in two ways.

The easiest is what we call a vacuum blot.  See Lopez, et.al. 1993,
Biotechniques. 15:362-363.  Essentially this involves lifting the gel off
the glass plate using the membrane you wish to which you wish to transfer
the DNA.  This is placed on a gel drier.  As the vacuum pulls the liquid
out of the gel it carries the DNA with it onto the membrane.

I have also used a semi-dry electroblotter.  A o.5X TBE gel would be
transfered for 60 min. at 212 mA.  This also worked very well.

Good luck,
Jeff Smerage