Ion-exchange Chromatography with Enzymes

Wolfgang Schechinger u7k0201 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de
Wed Jul 19 12:48:24 EST 1995

Rod <sciteach at droog.mbt.washington.edu> wrote:
>We're working in a summer program for Middle School Teachers, trying to
>develop some labs to use with kids in the 11-14 age range.  One method
>we're trying is using an ion exchange column to separate two enzymes in
>solution and show their presence in collected fractions by showing their
>activity.  We've been using alkaline phospatase (bovine intestinal
>mucosa) as a sample, but aren't having much luck in getting it to bind
>to the matrix-- (Bio-Rex 70 - cation) and DE-52 (anion) are two that we
>have on hand.  We've been testing for AP with pNPP at this point.
>
>We've tried a ph range from 4-8.  Is there a way to find the optimum pH
>for a particular enzyme/resin combination?

I would like to recommend a bulletin by Pharmacia in that you will find many procedures on how
to optimize your problem step by step:

"Ion Exchange Chromatography, Principles and Methods (Part-No. 18-1022-19)
Pharmacia LKB Biotechnology Inc.
800 Centennial Avenue
PISCATAWAY N.J.08855-1327
Phone (908) 457 8000
Fax   (908) 457 0557

> Ideally we'd like to find two enzymes from some natural source--like
>banana or potato extract, or saliva, or beef liver--maybe
>peroxidase,amylase, catalase or AP that would would show up with a color
>indicator that is relatively safe to use in the classroom.   We've
>been using "fast red" as and indicator for AP in some labs, but any
>enzyme/source/indicator combinations that you know might help us.  Or
>where else would you send us to ask?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>
>Rod Margason
>Integrated Science Partners