Calculating Tm - Help Needed

Tony Hodge tph at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 03:46:10 EST 1995

In article <3uhadb$e2k at server.st.usm.edu> Shiao Y. Wang,
sywang at whale.st.usm.edu writes:

>There does not appear to be a simple solution to the Tm of
>oligos question. The best method seems to be the nearest neighbor method
>which is not easily done with a calculator.

So true, but being naive I tried to write a simple BASIC (am I
really to old to learn C?) program to do it for me - and compare to
the other method.  I got really wierd results.  My biggest hastle
was finding the thermometric data (still have none for Inosine) and
a precise definition of the algorithm.  If you are interested look
up the following:

Breslauer et al PNAS 83, pp3746-3750 1986
Freier et al PNAS 83, pp9373-9377 1986
Rychlik and Rhoads NAR 17, 21, pp8543-8551 1989

and:
PCR Protocols - Methods in Molecular Biology Vol 15, Ed Bruce A
White, Series Ed John M Walker, Humana Press Inc 1993   (ISBN
0-89603-244-2)

If anyone has any other refs or relevant info/data please do email
me - I'd like to get this right!

Tony P Hodge
Structural Studies Division
MRC-LMB,  Hills Road