?He: gelatin block for Westerns?

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 20 19:31:57 EST 1995

Hi!

I have considerable background problem using BSA (Koch fr.
IV) as a blocking agent. Buying commercial block solutions
sounds stupid to me (they are incredibly expensive, sure
are made of the same stuff as is available for 10-fold
less, not guaranteed to work better and I can't buy from
evryone just to figure it out). I'd like to try gelatin as
I've heard somewhere it frequently is better, but can't
figure out one thing (shame on me!): how to get it
into solution which is stable? (It, you know, gets
"gelatinous" with time, esp. at +4C). Suggestions
appreciated.

Also, would be nice to hear opinios on what is (on
avarage - I understand that it may vary) the best
blocking solution for the Westerns on Immobilon.

Please, follow-up *and* reply by mail. Thanks.

-Dima