DMSO in CaCl2 Competent Cells

Kenneth HOWE howe at ORCHID.UCSC.EDU
Thu Jul 20 12:43:17 EST 1995

Dima-

DMSO increases the competence of both prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
(see Chung, CT and RH Miller [1988] Nucleic Acids Research V16: 3580; and
Lopata, MA et al [ 1984] Nucleic Acids Research V12: 5707), although it is
also toxic to cells.

As for the mechanisms of induced DNA translocation into cells using
cation-induced, CaCl-induced, or electroporation, check out the review by
AG Sabelnikov (Prog. Biophys. molec. Biol., [1994] V62:119-152) entitled,
NUCLEIC ACID TRANSFER THROUGH CELL MEMBRANES: TOWARDS THE UNDERLYING
MECHANISMS.

Ken Howe
"The onions expressed here are my own"