Disappearance of high molecular weight proteins on 2D gels?

Chaan Gurer gurer at pop.life.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 20 22:26:17 EST 1995

Hello,
 We are working with crude cell extracts from melanophores. When we run
these extracts on a one dimensional SDS-PAGE gel we get proteins ranging from
30kD-150kD. However, when we focus these extracts with IEF in the first
dimension and SDS-PAGE in the second, the high molecular weight proteins
(100kD and up) do not appear on the SDS-PAGE gel. Would anyone know why?
Are
we losing these proteins during IEF somehow? Thanks
Chaan
Univ. of Illinois
Cell and Structural Biology
gurer at pop.life.uiuc.edu