exposing tritium gels

Fri Jul 21 10:05:04 EST 1995

On 20 Jul 1995, Anton Scott Goustin wrote:

> f.a.cassidy at uk.ac.birmingham (Fiona Cassidy) wrote:
> >I am running SDS PAGE and IEF gels of proteins which I have labelled with
> >tritium, and would like to expose wet gels. I am wondering if wrapping
> >these gels in cling film/saran wrap/ cellophane or something similar will
> >cause any problems with the signal detection?  I'd be grateful to hear if
> >anyone has done this in the past
> >thanks
> You will never detect the 3H without impregnating these gels with a fluor such as EnHANCE or Amplify (Dupont, Amersham), and then drying down the gel.  Even then, the signals will be weak without the use of screens, and probably -70oC.

With fluors, the secondary emissions do a lot to 'enhance' the signals.
However, I am not sure if a an intensifying screen helps, since I don't
see how the emissions could penetrate the film with strong enough
velocity (if any) to excite the emulsion on the intensifier. I have
traditionally left out screens while exposing materials labeled with
35S, 14C and 3H. Was I wrong in assuming that the screens would be redundant.

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.
			  Las Cruces, NM 88003