Help needed in screening libraries.

John Dixon jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 08:50:04 EST 1995

> I was dismayed to find (actually, I found, then I
> was told) that for the gene I was screening, the probability was about
> 1 in 10^-9 so if I want it, I can screen a billion colonies.  Whatever
> you're looking for is somewhere between :-).

1 in 10^9?! What genome were you investigating? Salamanders or something?
That seems pretty rare to me. Just curious. Isn't some fern the record
holder for largest genome?

--
John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk