Help needed in screening libraries.

John Dixon jpcd0 at
Fri Jul 21 08:50:04 EST 1995

> I was dismayed to find (actually, I found, then I
> was told) that for the gene I was screening, the probability was about
> 1 in 10^-9 so if I want it, I can screen a billion colonies.  Whatever
> you're looking for is somewhere between :-).

1 in 10^9?! What genome were you investigating? Salamanders or something?
That seems pretty rare to me. Just curious. Isn't some fern the record
holder for largest genome?

John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
Department of Genetics
Cambridge University
United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at