PCR in ten minutes!

Frederick Garbrecht fgarbrec at HENDRIX.JCI.TJU.EDU
Sat Jul 22 08:11:49 EST 1995

I haven't used it, but there was a series of posts maybe 6-8 months
ago about it, and as I recall, those who used it were generally
enthusiastic.  I didn't buy one because the reactions are cycled in
glass capillary tubes (which you have to flame seal), and I didn't
want to deal with that.  There are also fairly significant
modifications that have to be made in the reaction buffer contents
(I've forgotten the details).  Call them up and they will fax you a
bunch of technical stuff including reprints; they also may send you a
copy or two of "The Rapid Cyclist", which contains lots of technical
information about particular applications, etc.  [No connection, etc]

> To:            methods-and-reagents at net.bio.net
> From:          jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (John Dixon)
> Subject:       PCR in ten minutes!
> Date:          Sat, 22 Jul 1995 11:35:55 +0000

> Hi there,
>
> has anybody out there tried the 'Rapidcycler' from Idaho technology?
>
> We recently got a flier from BioGene Ltd advertising this machine. It
> claims to have a ramp time of 10C per second, using 'high velocity
> turbulent air'. They include a picture of a gel with a 536bp band
> amplified using 30 cycles of 94C 0 sec, 60C 0 sec, 72C 5 sec. Total
> reaction time 9 min 25 sec.
>
> This would obviously be seriously handy for cycle sequencing/ optimizing
> PCR's and so on.
>
> Has anyone tried this contraption? I haven't called them yet but the flier
> does not include cost or size info.
>
> --
> John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
> Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
> Department of Genetics
> Cambridge University
> United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk

Frederick Garbrecht