PCR in ten minutes!

John Dixon jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 22 06:35:55 EST 1995

Hi there,

has anybody out there tried the 'Rapidcycler' from Idaho technology?

We recently got a flier from BioGene Ltd advertising this machine. It
claims to have a ramp time of 10C per second, using 'high velocity
turbulent air'. They include a picture of a gel with a 536bp band
amplified using 30 cycles of 94C 0 sec, 60C 0 sec, 72C 5 sec. Total
reaction time 9 min 25 sec.

This would obviously be seriously handy for cycle sequencing/ optimizing
PCR's and so on.

Has anyone tried this contraption? I haven't called them yet but the flier
does not include cost or size info.

--
John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk