histone preparation

Tom Thatcher ttha at uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Sun Jul 23 22:04:46 EST 1995

In <steinhof.6.00242593@???.Uni-Marburg.DE> steinhof@???.Uni-Marburg.DE writes:

>Could anyone give me a simple procedure for the preparation of histones from
>DNA?
>I have tried it with a hydroxylapatite column, but this did not work very well.
>You can post your answer in this newsgroup a send an e-mail to:
>steinhof at mailer.uni-marburg.de
>Thanks a lot for your help,

How pure do you want the histones?  For most cells, simple acid extraction
works fine.  Take whole nuclei and resuspend them in 0.4 N H2SO4 in
the cold with shaking or rocking for an hour.  Histones are some of
the few acid extractable nuclear proteins.

--
Tom Thatcher                          | You can give a PC to a Homo habilis,
University of Rochester Cancer Center | and he'll use it, but he'll use it