RNA gels - staining and denaturing

Steven Sullivan sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Sun Jul 23 21:26:46 EST 1995

I have excellent results visualizing RNA by jsut adding EtBr to the
whatever it says in Maniatis for EtBr in gels).  It is important, however,
to add the EtBR/dye *before * heat-=denaturing the RNA, otherwise
incorporation of EtBr into the RNA is lousy.

The other trick for visualizing RNA is to add formaldehyde to both gel
*and* running buffer at the same conc.  I use a very low concentration as
per a Biotehcniques article of some years back -- around 0.2 M.  Having
formaldehyde in both buffer and gel results in much sharper bands.