UV Sterilization

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Mon Jul 24 09:05:46 EST 1995

In article <2077C117C at axe.acadiau.ca>, 002233W at AXE.ACADIAU.CA ("ANTHONY
WILSON") wrote:

>     I am interested in knowing possible protocols for UV
> sterilization.  Our lab has a UV cross-linker which we wish to use
> for sterilization of PCR tubes.  Any information regarding the
> intensity of UV light and the optimal exposure time for UV
> sterilization would be appreciated.

not so sure about optimal, but what seems to work for us in sterilizing
electroporation cuvettes and 200ul pcr tubes is to put them in the
Stratagene stratalinker for 5 minutes on full power.  this seems to do the
trick and would likely work for you.  of course, if you tried to do a
whole box of tubes at one time, you might want to stretch the time out,
but if you lay them out in a single layer 5 minutes should be more than
enough.

eric
"i don't know what caffeine does for you, but i'm pretty sure that without it your head caves in."

eric c. anderson                                 anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)362-7058 (FAX)
660 s. euclid box 8103                           (314)962-2407 (home)
st. louis, mo 63110