<None>

Tue Jul 25 16:57:14 EST 1995

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, John Dixon wrote:

> In article <1995Jul25.152954 at ania.path.ox.ac.uk>, mwgaunt at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
> wrote:
>
> > Consultant company stalks this board :-|
> >
> > Not a great cause of concern, but its worth pointing out.
> > I recently posted a question to this board regarding sequencing.
> > The responses were good although I was followed up by a telephone
> > consultant 'researching' the area of electrophoresis - with a usual
>
> > The company concerned was Elara Associates a British subsidary of Elara
> > and the telephone employee Chris Bone.
> >

> Hi, Mike
>
> I had a call from these guys, while I was out and a lab-mate told me that
> they had asked if I used electrophoresis and then said that they needed to
> speak to me urgently!
>
> I never got around to calling them back, as I thought whoever they were
> would get back to me if there really was something crucially important
> that I had to know about running gels.
>
> Are they after us Brits only? Or are all bionet users on their wanted
> list? Does anyone know what they sell, apart from electrophoresis stuff
> obviously?
>
> --
> John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
> Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
> Department of Genetics
> Cambridge University
> United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk

No they are not after Brits only. They are doing it to the people living
here in the USA too. This guy called me up and said something about
somebody forwarding one of email messages to the net regarding BIORAD. He
sounded as if he was truly concerned about my 'electroporation' problems.
I said we do conventional tri-partite mating and that I never posted
anything about that. Then he proceeded to extoll the virtues of
'electroporation' when I stopped him short and simply asked him to send
his sales-pitch by mail. He did.

The cyberspace is increasingly becoming a hunting ground.

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.
			  Las Cruces, NM 88003