exposing tritium gels

Jeffrey Pepe jpepe at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 25 13:35:59 EST 1995

On 24 Jul 1995, Bart Sefton wrote:

> In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950721083342.22235A-100000 at verdi>,
> hroychow at NMSU.EDU (Hiranya Roychowdhury) wrote:
>
> > With fluors, the secondary emissions do a lot to 'enhance' the signals.
> > However, I am not sure if a an intensifying screen helps, since I don't
> > see how the emissions could penetrate the film with strong enough
> > velocity (if any) to excite the emulsion on the intensifier. I have
> > traditionally left out screens while exposing materials labeled with
> > 35S, 14C and 3H. Was I wrong in assuming that the screens would be redundant.
>
> You were right in assuming that screens don't help.  They augment only 32P
> and 125I.  They are too insensitive to enhance weak betas such as those
> emitted by 3H, 14C, or 35S.
>
> Bart

Actually, screens DO help, at least with tritium.  I also believed they
would not help, but some reason I tried it one day and the difference was
dramatic.  Of course, this was using a fluor.  In fact, tritium (again
enhanced by a fluor) can pass through saran to expose film, although the
signal is weaker.

Jeff