RT-PCR on viral RNA

walter wlech at medicine.medsch.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 26 13:28:42 EST 1995

One method utilizes generating an RNA copy of your target with a small
(100bp) internal deletion. This is accomplished by designing a
downstream primer (50mer) such that its 3' end binds the plus strand
150bp upstream from the intended target site while its 5' end is
complementary to the original downstream primer binding site.
Amplification, cloning, and in vitro transcription produces an RNA that
is identical to your target except for the 100bp deletion. Use this as
your internal control, using only the one set of original primers which
will amplify both sample RNA and internal control RNA with (presumably)
equal efficiency. (I recommend verifying this "equal" efficiency). The
two bands are easily resolved and, depending on your preferred method of
detection, will provide the necessary quantitation. I am unfamiliar with
the term "high homology standard" in its most strict usage; if the above
is considered such, sorry...

--Walter Lech