Help with searching promoter sequences for transcription factor recognition sequences

Anton Scott Goustin asg at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Wed Jul 26 18:21:54 EST 1995

EILEEN <FURLON93 at IRLEARN.UCD.IE> wrote:

>Dear reader,
>        If there is anybody reading this who knows a database or a good software package, I would be very grateful for any info. you could give me.

MacVector 4.5.2 (Kodak Imaging Technologies, Rochester, NY) does a nice job searching a NA sequence for TF recognition motifs such as AP1 sites, SP1 sites, NFkappaB sites, CREB sites, etc.  The 4.5.2 version comes with a nice file of these motifs called:

TFDSITES.SUBSEQ.7.0.aa

This file not only has the sites, but literature references to where the site is defined.  Very nice.

Problem:  the program MacVector costs alot (~$2,000), and is copyrighted by virtue of an EvE Init key which is a device that plugs in to your own Macintosh.  The program searches for the presence of this 3 cm x 6 cm x 8 cm device not only when you boot up MacVector 4.5, but every 15 min or so!  It means you must buy the program, not borrow it from a friend.

But...it's wicked good!  My favorite feature is new to v. 4.5.  You can search the freshest GenBank database online and download nucleic acid, protein, or even Entrez! files with click and point.  Provided, that is, that your Mac has an IP address and a DIRECT Internet connection.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for Kodak, or have any relatives there, or any stock.  MacVector is wicked, and worth it if you can raise the capital!