DNA Strider for PCs

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 26 08:40:48 EST 1995

In article <3v39oc$5n4 at Twain.MO.NET>, akravetz at Walden.MO.NET (Andy Kravetz)
writes:

> Is there a program like Strider or MacVector for the PC? A lab down
> the hall has it on a Mac and I am looking for it on the PC.

> Second, who makes Strider?? Or its clone? Thanks

Strider is a Macintosh only application written in C and developed by
Christian Marck.  It costs US$200 and is worth every cent (Address: Service de
Biochimie et de Genetique Moleculaire, Bat 142, Centre d'Etudes de Saclay,
91191, Gif-sur-Yvette, Cedex, France).  The latest version is 1.2.  It is the
standard Mac based sequence manipulator but lacks comparative tools (i.e
sequence alignment and contig assembly).  That said, it's interface and design
are streets ahead of anything else.

MacVector is also Mac specific but its publisher (IBI/Kodak) do have a PC
version.  For PCs there are a variety of commercial programs such as Vector
NTI (good reviews), PCgene, LaserGene and several more. There must be
shareware apps too but I haven't seen any that are comparable to DNA Strider.

Solution? For the price of one of the PC commercial applications (!), get a
PowerMacintosh 6100 DOS compatible (has a 66 Mhz DX2 on a card) and run
Strider..... as well as your DOS/Windows apps.

Jim Woodgett

Ontario Cancer Institute
Fax (416) 926 6529 Tel (416) 926 4501 ext 4983
mailto:jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Kinases R Us