Best way to get DNA from gel bands?

QIAGEN QIAGEN at kaiwan.com
Thu Jul 27 12:02:30 EST 1995

In article <myersm-2507951347500001 at shioh_pc.rockefeller.edu>,
myersm at rockvax.rockefeller.edu (Michael Myers) wrote:

> My current method: QIAquick from Qiagen. Faster than their Qiaex bead
> method. Gel slice is melted in chaotropic salt (probably NaI), then spun
> through a dna binding filter in a microfuge. Washed once, then eluted into
> 30 microliters of water or TE. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes, depending
> on how big your gel slice is. Advantage here is that the eluted DNA is in
> a small enough volume (and presumably free of EDTA) that you can proceed
> with labeling or ligation rxns, no need to ethanol precipitate.

It is a pleasure to hear from a happy user like yourself, and we are
impressed by your knowledge of our QIAquick and QIAEX for gel extraction
from
agarose. Please allow us to clarify one point.

Neither our QIAquick Gel Extraction nor QIAEX II contains  NaI to melt the
gel slice. We designed our QX1 buffer to eliminate NaI, because NaI is
difficult to get rid of, and residual NaI may reduce  the efficiency of
downstream enzymatic reactions such as blunt-end ligation. In addition, NaI

is sensitive to light (that's why most  solubilization buffers are
stored in a brown bottle and our QX1 is not), therefore you cannot
quantitate
your DNA with a spectrophometer if the DNA contains residual NaI.

Thank you for your support,

QIAGEN Inc
--
QIAGEN       800-362-7737