Photographing gels

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 27 10:38:02 EST 1995

In article <3v60ep$h4s at hermes.oc.com>,
Gordon Betts  <betts at orion.etsu.edu> wrote:
>I am having difficulty photographing my agarose gels.  The photos
>don't look good and you can't see the DNA nearly as well as you
>can on the transilluminator.  I am using an Ultra-Lum(R) transillum.
> and photographing with a Polaroid (R) DS34 camera, yellow #8 filter,
					^^^^		     ^
Clue #1: This is the handheld "QuickShoot"-type camera; Yellow #8 is
the filter recommended for Coomassie-Blue-stained protein gels. The
Yellow #15 is the correct filter for EtBr-stained DNA gels.

Clue #2: Other posters' comments about Wratten types, while correct, may
not apply here. Unless the Wrattens are available in ca. 50-mm-diameter
threaded-metal mounts that can screw onto the lens-end of the DS34 camera.

>1/4 sec, f22 with a 20 second developing time.
 ^^^	  ^^^
Clue #3: You may need to adjust the f/stop setting (i.e., open it wide)
and also adjust the exposure time (i.e., longer). You're using Polaroid
Type 667 film, right?? The time & f/stop will also depend upon the amount
of DNA you're trying to document.

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: mg16 at midway.uchicago.edu)
(c) 1995; all rights reserved. Permission granted for Usenet quotation