Artefacts on SDS PA gels

Malcolm Moos Jr. moos at helix.nih.gov
Sun Jul 30 12:14:33 EST 1995

I'm not sure it's been published, but in a conversation I had with him
on the subject, Carl Merrill himself confirmed the origin of these
troublesome bands as human keratin, which can find its way into various
SDS PAGE reagents, including mercaptoethanol. There are some published
reports implicating the latter as the cause of this artifact, but I've
tested this myself and cannot reproduce these data. We have completely
eliminated this problem with meticulous technique, which includes
wearing gloves whenever touching any substance or piece of apparatus
involved in the electrophoresis (especially combs, sample buffer,
running buffer, and components thereof).