GETTING RID OF EtBr

B.L.Cohen gbga13 at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 11:38:04 EST 1995

In article <3v5rvf$jro at sparcserver.lrz-muenchen.de>, Wolfgang Schechinger
<u7k0201 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Hmm. This point of interest comes up again and again...
> If you have the facility of bringig it to a suitable incinerator (infectious waste e.g.) do
> this. Or use at least 1M sodium hydroxide. This will destroy it. (You can measure this by

Can you please provide a reference to the use of alkali to detoxify EtBr?
It is a suggestion that I have not seen before and might be useful.

But can any chemists indicate what the products might be?

Remember that the product of hypochlorite treatment of EtBr is mutagenic in
the Ames test _without_ microsomal activation and may therefore be a more
potent mutagen in vivo (mammals) that the unaltered compound (even though
there may be very little of it).