Water coomassie recipe ??

Steve Dunn dunnsm at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 1 05:04:21 EST 1995

In article <clement-310595153636 at cvlb27.harvard.edu>, clement at cvlab.harvard.edu (clement at cvlab.harvard.edu) says:

>                                 \\''''//
>                                  (0 0)
>                  @----oOO---------(_)-----------------*
>                  |      Chris Y. Clement.             |
>                  |"Life is not good, it's a bitch!"   |
>                  @-----------------------------oOO----*
>                                 |__|__|
>                                  || ||
>                                 ooO Ooo
Dear Chris,

Staining blotted PVDF membranes with methanolic coomassie prior to
microsequencing is how it's usually done (you need the methanol
to solubilise the coomassie and because PVDF is hydrophobic)- the stained
band of interest is simply cut out and popped into the sequencer.
If you want to visualise protein bands in the gel without fixing prior to
blotting, then a metal-staining procedure (copper or zinc) is rapid and
reversible and sufficiently sensitive.  I'll dig up the methods for you.
In the meantime, get in touch you antisocial bugger!!
Steve Dunn
dunnsm at bbsrc.ac.uk
(01582) 763133 ext.2785
IACR-Rothamsted,