Q: silver stain and microsatellites

cmcgowan at kean.ucs.mun.ca cmcgowan at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Fri Jun 2 09:32:02 EST 1995

Helloo,

I've been using microsatellite loci to do gene mapping in salmon and trout.

Presently, I end-label one of the primers with P32, run the PCR products
out on a sequencing gel, and then expose the gel to radiography film.

I would like to try silver staining, however the series of
manipulations required is too much for the sequencing gel which is only
0.25 mm thick and breaks apart fairly easily.

Promega sells a silver sequencing kit. In it there is a reagent they
call 'Bind Silane' which you spread on one of your plates and it makes the
acrylamide gel bind hard to it. The glass plate gives the gel the support
it needs to go through the silver staining procedure.

I could buy one of these kits, but I am cheap, and would save a lot of
money if I could use my own silver staining reagents.

So my question is this:

Does anybody know what this 'Bind Silane' is, or does anybody know of a
reagent that will get an acrylamide gel to bind hard (but not too hard)
to one of the glass plates?

Thanks for your thoughts.
They will save me some money, and help to subvert creeping capitalism.

Colin