ABI 377 GENOTYPER

M.P.Woodland M.P.Woodland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 08:28:13 EST 1995

Andy.Law at bbsrc.ac.uk (Andy Law (Big Nose)) wrote:

> In article <3qfeem$lhu at oban.cc.ic.ac.uk>, "M.P.Woodland"
> <M.P.Woodland at ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>   > Here  we  sit  at  Imperial  College  awaiting  the  delivery  of
>   > an  ABI  377  and  apparently  some  of  the  software  will  not
>   > run  on  the Macs  which  come  with  it. So  dare  I  ask - in
>   > addition  to  Genescan  what  else  is  "broken"  on  the  new
>   > machine ?  Just  so  I  know - I'm  sure  you  understand. And  I
>   > was  told  the  backup  was  really  good.
>   >
>   > Marc
>
> Marc,
>
> I would phone them and give them a hard time. Get them to spell out
> exactly what will run and what will not. And then, it would be much
> appreciated if you would pass the answers on to the rest of us.
>
> Be aware also that there are reported problems with non-ABI software
> (specifically the staden contig assembly package) being unable to read
> sequence files from the newest version of the sequencing software (2.1?).
> This is because ABI have changed their file format recently. That might be
> something else you want to ask them about.
>
> Again, I reserve the right to be proved wrong
> --
> Andy Law
>
> ( Andy.Law @ bbsrc.ac.uk )
> ( Big Nose in Edinburgh )

Andy,

The  situation  here  is:-    when  we  went  to  order  a  Power
Mac  Pc 7/100  ABI  told  us  to  wait  while  they  checked  out
if  this  was  compatible  with  the  sequencing  software  which
we  had  ordered. They  told  us  everything  would  be  O.K.
as  long  as  an  A/V  card  was  not  fitted !  As  I  was  not
directly  involved  with  the  ordering  I  don't  know  (a)  Wether
this  is  the  new  model  of  the  7/100 (b)  The  exact
details  of  the  software  package.  I  was  only  told  that
I  was  expected  to  manage  the sequencing facility  after  all
this  had  been  decided. Typical  I.C.

Marc