Adenovirus vectors

Gerald Pier gpier at warren.med.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 4 15:52:26 EST 1995

Many groups I am aware of doing reserarch in cystic fibrosis gene therapy
have these adeno virus vectors.  However, some or all of the might be
proprietary- it may be difficult to get them.  You are most likely to find
FAX or phone numbers for these individuals from the FASEB directory. You
could try:

Richard Boucher, University of North Carolina
James Wilson, Insititute for Human Gnene Therapy, Philadelphia
Michael Welsh, University of Iowa
Ronald Crystal, Cornell Medical Schooll, NY, NY

However, I think you should consider that the trials to date with
adenovirus vectors have all elicited significantly inflammation and immune
vectors because of unacceptable toxicity.  I think any immunologist or
microbiologist will tell you there is essentially no way that these
vectors are going to be useful if they have to be used more than once.
So, let me suggest you look into liposomes and other nonimmunogenic
vectors, even though their efficiency, at least at this point, is lower
than the viral ones.

Good luck.

Jerry Pier
Channing Lab