Why 70% EtOH for cleaning?

CRH inconnue
Sun Jun 4 11:39:16 EST 1995

> I have a very general question.  I was told that 70% EtOH is more effective
> than 95% EtOH for sterlizing and cleaning surfaces.  Tradition of course is to
> use 70% to wipe hoods etc.  I had assumed 70% was used just to cut costs. Can
> anybody out there tell me why 70% is used? Just curious really

> Allen,
the possible explanation is...
95% Ethanol evaporates much faster and hence is not effective, in
eliminating the microbes, than 70% ethanol,which takes fairly longer time
to evaporate,forms a thin film and hence the contact with the microbes is
for a longer time for it to penetrate thro', thereby killing the
microbes....