BSA in PCR

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 06:18:17 EST 1995

In article: <3qmpq8$kdv at yama.mcc.ac.uk>  mjfdse at dir.mcc.ac.uk (Derek Ellison) writes:

> Derek Ellison                      | +44 (0)61 200 4225 (voice)
> Biochemistry & A.M.B.              | +44 (0)61 236 0409 (fax)
> U.M.I.S.T.                         | mjfdse at dir.mcc.ac.uk (Email)
> PO Box 88                          |
> Manchester M60 1QD                 |
>
> Could anyone tell me why adding BSA improves PCR yields? I've heard it
> stabilises the TAQ in some way, but does anyone know how exactly? Any
> information of references on work in this area would be greatly
> appreciated!

In a normal PCR with 2.5u of enzyme the actual amount of protein is 12.5ng.
Although the enzyme is exceptionally stable and doesn't need the BSA it can
help minimize the enzyme sticking to glass capillary tubes as used in the
Idaho Air cycler. If you do decide to use BSA then do not use acetylated BSA
only heat treated (70C for 20 mins).

Duncan