***Plating out phage***

Richard Hastings mbxrh at unicorn.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 05:31:23 EST 1995

I'm currently screening a cDNA library in lambda zapII, I'm having a
few problems getting a full plate of plaques.  I'm using large plates
(24 X 24cm) and for some reason areas of the plate fail to plaque
whereas other regions plaque out no problem.  On smaller plates there
is no problem.  Could it be a problem with not mixing the infected
cells and top agar properly?  The bacterial lawn seems to cover the
plate OK.  Or could pouring the top agar on a work surface with a
slight lean (resulting in an uneven thickness of top agar) affect the
plaquing?
This problem is really annoying, any help would be much appreciated!

Richard Hastings (mbxrh at unicorn.nott.ac.uk)
Dept. of Biochemistry,
Queens Medical Centre,
University of Nottingham,