DMSO for tissue culture use

Tim Dunn t.dunn at
Tue Jun 6 21:55:25 EST 1995

In article <D9G68v.Lvv at>, ar229 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
(Allison Haggarty) wrote:

> We use DMSO as a solvent when adding retinoids to cultured cells.  Lately
> we have been noticing that the DMSO alone has been having a toxic effect
> on the cells.  Should we be using a special grade of DMSO (we have been
> using ACS grade from BDH)?  Any other suggestions to avoid cytotoxicity would
> be appreciated.  Thanks.
DMSO oxidises over time.  I have noticed this cytotoxicity myself, and
started using DMSO packaged under N2 especially for cell culture purposes
(from SIGMA).  Problem solved.

Tim Dunn
Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of Queensland
Australia 4075
e-mail t.dunn at
phone  (07) 365 4565