Martin at GDB160.uk.sb.com Martin at GDB160.uk.sb.com
Wed Jun 7 18:29:48 EST 1995

Does anyone know where on this planet I can purchase a Hughes Pressure Cell ?
It's a stainless steel block with two cylinders in it joined by a narrow 
aperture. The idea is that one  cools it to -20deg' C say, puts a suspension of 
bugs or whatever into one cylinder and by application of pressure to a piston 
pushes the solid pellet through the aperture. This shears the material in the 
pellet. I want it because I wish to crack open  pathogenic bacteria in small 
volumes and for this would be more suitable than a French press for example. 
No, my surname isn't Hughes!
Thanks for any forthcoming advice,

More information about the Methods mailing list