UNDER HUGE PRESSURE ?

Claude Aflalo aflaloc at BGUMAIL.BGU.AC.IL
Wed Jun 7 23:48:48 EST 1995

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995 Martin at GDB160.uk.sb.com wrote:

> Does anyone know where on this planet I can purchase a Hughes Pressure Cell ?
> It's a stainless steel block with two cylinders in it joined by a narrow
> aperture. The idea is that one  cools it to -20deg' C say, puts a suspension of
> bugs or whatever into one cylinder and by application of pressure to a piston
> pushes the solid pellet through the aperture. This shears the material in the
> pellet. I want it because I wish to crack open  pathogenic bacteria in small
> volumes and for this would be more suitable than a French press for example.
> No, my surname isn't Hughes!
> Thanks for any forthcoming advice,
> Martin.

Hello Martin,
You'll probably can find this kind of device under different names: It
used to be called "French press" or also "Yeda press". These do not use a
piston to apply pressure but compressed Nitrogene or Helium. They are
used for the preparation of sub-mitochondrial, sub-chloroplast,
bacterial chromatophores, or a variety of sub cellular particles. Try the
Thomas catalog.

Dept. of Life Sciences			Phones: Office 972-7-472118
Ben Gurion University of the Negev	        Lab    972-7-472119
P.O.Box 653				        Fax    972-7-276201
Beer Sheva 84105 Israel			email:  aflaloc at bgumail.bgu.ac.il