DNA extraction from paraffin-embedded tissue?

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Wed Jun 7 09:32:41 EST 1995

In article <3qocgl$599 at amgen.amgen.com>, Darci Kane <dkane at amgen.com> wrote:

> Has anyone done DNA extraction from fixed, paraffin
> embedded tissue, and if so, what are the pitfalls I should watch
> out for?  I am inclined to just proceed with a
> phenol/chloroform extraction, but should I melt the paraffin
> first or is that not necessary?

check out the most recent BioTechniques (May 1995; Vol. 18. No. 5) which
has an article on pg. 768 on "Microwave-Based DNA Extraction from
Paraffin-Embedded Tissue for PCR Amplification," by Banerjee et al.  while
i haven't tried the technique (and am personally skeptical of
Microwave-based DNA extraction techniques in general) it seems like a very
interesting technique that might be worth a shot.

eric

--
"i don't know what caffeine does for you, but i'm pretty sure that without it your head caves in."

eric c. anderson                                 anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)362-7058 (FAX)
660 s. euclid box 8103
st. louis, mo 63110

for a comprehensive list of bike related web pages... http://pharmdec.wustl.edu/~anderson/anderson.html