Alternatives for EtBr staining of DNA

Sebastian Bunka bunka at i112syw1.vu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jun 8 04:51:04 EST 1995

H.J. Sluiman (mbhsl at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk) wrote:
: An alternative to EtBr that I have come across very recently is SYBR Green I. You
: still need UV but its sensitivity is reportedly considerably better than EtBr
: (50-100 times greater for detecting oligonucleotides). No data is available
: concerning the mutagenicity and toxicity but even if it should be treated with
: the same care as EtBr, the actual hazards should be less since the staining solutions

FMC now also distributes SYBR I (for dsDNA) and SYBR II (for ssDNA nad RNA).

UK: Flowgen Instruments, Ltd; ph. 44 1795 42 97 37
US: FMC BioProducts; ph. 207-594-3495

Cheers, Sebastian
--

;-)
Sebastian Bunka			ph. (+43-1) 711 55 301
Medical Chemistry		email: Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at
University of Veterinary Medicine - Vienna - Austria