Phenol/Chloroform

Michael G. Tencza tencza at med.unc.edu
Thu Jun 8 14:55:37 EST 1995

Recently a coworker came into my lab and asked about the buffer layer from
phenol/chloroform solutions becoming alkaline over time which in
their view would necessitate immediate disposal of the reagent to prevent
ruining valuable samples.  I had not heard of this before so I immediately
checked the pH of my stock and found it to be about pH 10, by a test paper.  I
disposed of it and made up some new reagent, but it was also alkaline!
Does anyone know about this?  Does it matter?

Mike T.