Cloning vector with 'lethal' gene?

Rafael Maldonado rafael at
Wed Jun 7 16:51:09 EST 1995

> In article <v01510100abf87c7d5936@[]>, lodhi at CSHL.ORG (Muhammad Lodhi) says:
> >
> >Could someone give me the info on the commercial source of a newly
> >introduced cloning vector that has a 'lethal' gene on the cloning site.  I
> >heard that in this cloning system only the cells with the cloned fragments
> >can grow that way all the background is clear.  Any help will be highly
> >appreciated

If you can check "Cloning vectors" (Pouwels, Enger-Valk and Brammar,
Elsevier publisher), there is a whole chapter dedicated to direct selection

Many genes are used in those systems. Actally, I have been using a vector
harboring the rpsL gene of E. coli and the selection was really clean.

Most of the vectors described should be got from the labs which made them.
If you are interested, I may mail you some addresses and/or references.

Rafael Maldonado                             |  "y es que...
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |   habemos gente pa to'"
Department of Human Genetics		     |
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |     Joselito "El Gallo"
Rafael at                 |
Rafael at	             |
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |