Glycosylation Signal Sequences?

Iain Wilson wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at
Fri Jun 9 05:49:13 EST 1995

Yasha at bioch.tamu.edu (Yasha Hartberg) wrote:

> I was wondering if there are known amino acid recognition sequences for
> O-linked or N-linked glycosylation.  Any references would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Yasha Hartberg
> Texas A&M University
> "The most beautiful thing in Tokyo is McDonald's."  Andy Warhol

There is the standard N-glycosylation consensus Asn-X-Ser/Thr
look at Gavel and von Heijne (1990) Protein Engineering 3:433-442.
However not all Asn-X-Ser/Thr sites get glycosylated even if they are
lumenally/extracellular facing.

For O-links there are no obvious rules. See for instance
Wilson, Gavel and von Heijne (1991) Biochem. J. 275:529-534

Iain
wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at