SYBR 1 Green Dye

David Hanzel hanzel at mdyn.com
Fri Jun 9 21:03:03 EST 1995

comstock at plains.NoDak.edu (Clay Comstock) wrote:

> Hi netters,
>
> I was wondering if anynone has heard of or used SYBR 1 Dye for staining
> DNA.  I hear it is supposed to be 25X more intense than standard EtBr.
>
> Thanks
> Clay Comstock
WARNING THIS POSTING IS FROM A VENDOR!
Several months ago there was a thread on this usegroup singing the merits
of SYBR Green 1 (Molecular Probes) for use on UV Boxes.  We (Molecular Dynamics)
make the FluorImager on which SYBR Green 1 is 100 - 1000 times as sensitive
as EtBr on a UV box.

Recent results from Molecular Probes have shown that SYBR Green 1 is NOT
mutagenic in the "Ames Test".  This has been discussed on the FluorUsers
group (FluorUsers at mdyn.com) and I would be glad to post that discussion
with this group.

david hanzel
hanzel at mdyn.com